BALA, Prof Kanu
Bangladesh : WONCA South Asia region president
Prof Kanu Bala MBBS, FCGP [BD], LLB [DU], PhD[DU], PhD [USTC], FRCP [Dublin], FRCP [Edinburgh] is the WONCA South Asia Region President for 2016-2018. He has an extensive list of achievements some of which are mentioned here.
What work do you do?
I am Professor of Family Medicine and Medical Director of the Bangladesh Institute of Family Medicine & Research (BIFMR), University of Science & Technology Chittagong (USTC). As Visiting Professor of Medicine and Gastroenterology, I teach undergraduate medical students of the Community Medical College of the People’s University. I am a member of the board and a teacher of the Bangladesh College of General Practitioners (BCGP).
What are your other interesting achievements and positions?
I am one of the pioneers of introducing and developing Family Medicine Education in Bangladesh. I am the key person for establishing and running the BCGP and BIFMR. I have developed courses and curricula for both institutes.
At present I am the president of the Bangladesh Academy of Family Physicians and Editor-in-Chief of the Bangladesh Journal of Family Physicians. Throughout my career I have continued with patient management and research activities. My fields of research are family medicine education, hypertension, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic hepatitis B, intestinal tuberculosis, dyspepsia, etc. My 164 research articles and review articles are published in different nati
onal and international journals.
I have been honored with the ‘Leader of the Profession Award’ of the USTC and ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ of the Bangladesh Society of Ultrasonography. I was an recipient of the ‘WONCA Global Family Doctor Award’ in December 2006. In march this year I was presented with my WONCA Life Direct membership by Prof Amanda Howe (see photo with Amanda Howe, WONCA President and Donald Li, WONCA President elect
What do you hope to achieve as South Asia Region President?
I want to do the following work during my two years’ tenure:
1. Strengthening bonds amongst the WONCA Member Organizations in the South Asia Region
2. Expansion of membership and upgrading membership of existing members including new members in the category of Academic Membership
3. Reinforcement the partnership with the WHO Regional and Country Offices
4. Continuing and increasing WONCA South Asia region activities
5. Support the Spice Route Movement for young family doctors.
What are your other interests?
My interests outside my works include:
- Drafting and amending constitutions of different organizations. I have completed Bachelor of Law (LLB) from Dhaka University
- Voluntary social work during peace and disaster
- Member of government and non-government committees on health policy
- Enjoying old songs, reading and travelling
- Spending times with children, grandchildren and other family members