World Mental Health Day 2016 theme
The World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) announces the theme for World Mental Health Day coming on October 10, 2016:
Dignity in Mental Health - Psychological & Mental Health First Aid for All
Mental health crises and distress are viewed differently because of ignorance, poor knowledge, stigma and discrimination. This cannot continue to be allowed to happen, especially as we know that there can be no health without mental health.
Psychological and mental health first aid should available to all, and not just a few. This is the reason why the World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH) has chosen psychological and mental health first as its theme for World Mental Health Day 2016.
Since the introduction of Basic Life Support (BLS) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) without equipment in the 1960’s many people have benefitted from the intervention of a passer-by, and lives have been saved.
Our aim is that every member of the general public can:
• Learn how to provide basic psychological and mental health first aid so that they can provide support to distressed individuals in the same way as they do in physical health crises
• Address the stigma associated with mental ill-health so that dignity is promoted and respected
• Empower people to take action to promote mental health
• Spread understanding of the equal importance of mental and physical health and their integration in care and treatment
• To work with individuals and institutions to develop best practice in psychological and mental health first aid
• To provide culturally sensitive learning materials to increase the skills of the general public in administering psychological and mental health first aid.
Please support WFMH to make this a global reality so that we can make the world a better place.
Professor Gabriel Ivbijaro MBE JP
World Mental health Day Website