Special Interest Group: Non-communicable diseases
A new WONCA Special Interest Group on Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) was approved by the WONCA Executive in July 2013 and serves as a focus for the development of NCDs issues for Wonca worldwide. The convenor is Dr Domingo Orozco-Beltran of Spain (pictured)
Read about why we need a Special Interest Group on Non-Communicable Diseases here
General membership is open to interested family doctors. For more information email convenor
Objectives of the WONCA SIG on Non-communicable diseases
• To serve as a focus to stimulate and promote standards of excellence in the primary care management of NCDs, consistent with patient and professional values and with reference to evidence based health care
• To improve knowledge about chronic care models as Chronic Care Model (CCM) or Kaiser Permanente (KP) and others.
• To analyse the relationship between primary care orientation and the implementation of the chronic care models.
• To promote and to assess tools to Measure Quality Improvement of Chronic Illness Care
• To put people at the centre of health care by adopting, as appropriate, delivery models focused on the local and district levels that provide comprehensive primary health care services.
• To promote integrated care.
• To address the fragmented nature in which health care is delivered.
• To identify characteristics that facilitates the implementation of strategies to achieve a high performing chronic care system in primary care.
• To hold scientific meetings, which may include sessions and workshops during WONCA regional and world conferences. To present original papers and to address broader educational issues through discussion, training and debate.
• To promote and develop patient information about NCDs.
• To promote active participation by all people, and re-emphasise the empowering of communities, especially women, in the processes of developing and implementing policy and improving health and health care,.
• To develop and promote appropriate literature for primary care professionals using a variety of resources, including WONCA Online.
Plans of SIG on Non-Communicable Diseases
• Guideline development on NCDs issues
• Scientific presentations on NCDs
• Advice to WONCA and affiliated Colleges on NCDs issues
• Participation in Wonca activities and conferences with a focus on the NCDs health agenda
• Provision of a regular newsletter and educational materials
• Supporting the NCDs models in primary care education
• Organising regular online Primary Care NCDs Grand Rounds
• Developing and supporting postgraduate accreditation programms for General Practitioners with a Special Interest in NCDs
Our Proposed Products
• Culturally sensitive guideline (near future)
• Newsletter and regular communication to members
• References of interest
Our Proposed Meetings
• Annual scientific symposium at a WONCA regional / world meeting
• Annual general meeting at a WONCA regional / world meeting
• Regional / national workshops scientific and educational meetings to be organised by the committee
Co-operating organisations eg WPA, WHO, reputable patient representative groups, all WONCA Working Parties and WONCA Special Interest Groups will be approached to propose members to join the Working Party Executive on specific projects. All WONCA regions will be approached to send representatives to become members of the SIG Executive.
Convenor: Dr Domingo Orozco-Beltran (Spain) & Secretary: Dr Manuel Sanchez-Molla. (Spain)
Join the SIG NCDs